Monday, January 6, 2020

Reading to Write

If you want to write, you should read, right?  But how to read?  Electronically, magazines, online articles, books?

You should read how and what you want.  If you prefer one medium over the other, then choose that. There’s no right way to read.

I like to read e-books when I travel.  If I’m not driving, I still cannot read a regular book or magazine in the car without getting car sick.  But I can read an e-book for a little bit.

I still love physical books and even magazines.  I use 2 e-book readers on my phone to read e-books.  I usually stick to online for news articles.  But I will also read the newspaper.

We either trade in the books for credits at a used book store (and get more books) if we don’t keep them.  We recycle everything else.

Reading, I know, makes me a better writer.  I am amazed, and not in a good way, of those folks who won’t even listen to an audiobook much less read a book who then call themselves writers!  Is it impossible to write without reading?  I’m sure it isn’t.  But to write well, it’s good to open up your mind to someone else’s way of writing.

If I’m working on a particular type of book or article, I may stay away from reading that same thing while I write so it doesn’t influence my work.  Research, though, is the exception.  If you don’t read, how can you research?

Reading gives you a chance to see how other books are marketed.  It also gives you a chance, sometimes, to connect with the authors in a positive way.

If I’m not writing, I’m going to be reading.  I read poetry every day unless I just can’t access it for some reason or if I’m not feeling well.  I think reading poems, and reading in general makes me a better writer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...