Sunday, September 27, 2020

This Writer Doesn’t Retreat

As a writer, often I see places advertised that you can rent, workshops you can attend or contests you can enter to win a writers retreat.  Sounds wonderful, doesn’t it?  A place to go and simply be and just write.  No worries except for day to day things you have to do like eat, sleep, bathe, etc.

I do know when I go on vacation, I always take a laptop, and notepad so I can write.  I’m usually quite productive on those trips.

Somehow, though, I don’t think I’d get all that much done if I was at an isolated place for a week or longer.  I don’t think I could check out of my non-writing life long enough to not worry, to not be constantly checking in to make sure everything was ok at home.  And for me, it would be even worse if there was no wifi or internet.  I don’t live on social media, or have to be constantly connected, but I do like the option of having the ability to make a call or send a text on my smart phone if it’s necessary.

Of course, I have never tried a writer’s retreat.  And it probably won’t come as any surprise that I’m not the type to retreat in any sense of the word, or if I do it’s usually long enough to regroup and start again.  

It depends on what I’m working on as to how much quiet and alone time I need.  I have an office space where I live and it’s also where I practice my guitar and ukulele.  I do have the option of closing the door, and sometimes I do, but usually I don’t.  I like to hear what’s going on or at least be aware of it.  Of course, if the dog is barking at the wind, deer or any of the other assorted wild critters that come up in the woods then I may have difficulty tuning that out.  

I am quiet by nature and don’t like a lot of noise or being around people who talk to much (hello, my whole family is mostly made up of extroverts so that takes some adapting) and I actually prefer to be alone.  I would probably enjoy getting away for a day or two or even a week.  I’m not sure if I would be motivated to write and work on my projects simply because it seems I need that every day jab of my every day life to keep me on task.  I write certain hours each weeknight and different hours on the weekends.  What would I possibly do with all that time to simply think and write?  I imagine the ideas that I get during the early morning, during the night that I cannot always address or sadly remember to write down would become works for me.  Maybe a poem or play, or short story.  Who knows?

My writing is only limited by the time I give it.  And while I may not be willing to retreat somewhere to work on it, I have at least carved out a space by a window in my office to write, and a space near a different one to read.  I take time at lunch most days to read as well.  I read by lamp light in my favorite chair.

Some days, I may give up on my writing and want to quit, but it is a part of me and has been since I was very young.  I take heart that I may have to take a break for a while or stop working on a project and start something new sometimes but that I keep going.  

I am a writer.  And this writer, never retreats!










                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...