Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Journaling for Beginners

There seems to be an unspoken rule, that if you are a writer then you must journal, you probably love it, right?  Well not necessarily.  I have been writing in journals before it became a verb!  I've always written something:  song lyrics, stories, essays, book reports, poems, plays, articles, ad copy, etc. so writing in a journal is a natural thing for me.  I carry a couple of them with me at all times.  In one, I jot down maybe a few words or a sentence.  In the other one, I may write paragraphs of things I want to vent about to really just myself.  I don't write my journals for others to read.  If I did, that would be a memoir!

The important thing to take away from journal writing, is that you are exercising your writing skills well by writing.  It's just as important to practice writing every day as you might do with a sport or a music piece you are trying to play or maybe a presentation or speech you are giving. 

You can find cheap journals in the dollar store, or make your own or even use a notebook - many sizes and types of paper are available.  You may use your journal for any type of writing and include ideas in it as well.

Journaling is a great way to connect with your writing skills and thoughts.  It will keep your writing sharp and fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...