Sunday, June 4, 2017

It's all in the word, a little about the dash, and white space!

Recently I was critiquing a few manuscripts (I also do manuscript critiquing) for some new clients, and I was really surprised at their use of the dash.  This - or -- or --- if you would like a proper visual of it.

One dash here or there is not such a big deal.  When dashes are all over, though, it makes one ignore the words, the poem, the manuscript and just think about the lines at the beginnings, ends, or in the middle of a line.

---!

Not trying to be funny or anything, but it is like a Yellow Light!  That's a caution light here in the states.  For most, it means okay better slow down, get ready to stop.  For some it means, oh the light's turning red so hit the gas and fly on through.  Not exactly a safe way to drive.

So why put a dash in your poem?  To me, a dash is like taking a pause or a breath when speaking.  You know those people that pause all the time when they talk, and those that never do.

I admit it.  I'm a pauser.  I am thinking of what to say next.  When I'm writing, the words and sentences fly out of me so fast I can hardly get them down.  When talking, not so much.  Talking is a struggle for me most of the time ... unless I'm talking about poetry.

The white space, white lines, a space between words in a poem is another pause, another way to shift focus in the poem.  It can be a powerful move using white spaces within the line, between lines, or all the way down the page.

Down
the

page.

Like that--!

Now for the words themselves.  A writer, a poet, most likely is in love with words and/or reading like me.  I read everything, even those stupid ads they put on restaurant tables. I still enjoy reading a newspaper, billboards, ads and reading the dictionary or words of the day for fun.  Word choices will guide your poem, make your poem and be your poem.  Pick words you are familiar with and don't use too many words that most readers won't know or they will likely not finish reading the whole poem.

If you get stuck, think of your favorite words (you know you have some) and write a poem.  Use the words at the beginning, the middle, the end or use one or two in each verse and see what you come up with.

The proper use of the dash, white space thrown in with the right words can really set your poems on fire!  Sizzle            on--      my poet    friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...