Monday, May 8, 2017

Virtual place poetry

Using a popular social media app, I've started a page where I write poems about one specific area around a certain place.  These poems are what I call virtual place poems.  I'm not submitting them anywhere.  I'm not writing them to submit anywhere.  I'm writing them on the go as inspiration strikes.  Sometimes I even include a picture to go with the poem.  It's a new way to write for me, writing all via an app, editing on the go as well.  It's a great way to keep my writing sharp and different.

I do have readers of these poems.  A lot of them are my friends who usually don't read poetry but because these poems are about a place familiar to them, they are reading them.  It's helped me gain new readership as well among acquaintances and friends who didn't know I was a poet.  It's also helped introduce poetry to people who are interested in the place enough to read a poem about it.

To me that's win-win in poetry/poet land!  New readers.  New people familiar with my work.  New way to go about writing poems!

I will probably put the poems into e-book and possibly chapbook form as some point so I can get them out there in other formats.  But right now it's fun to compose a poem on the go!

Everyday, as a writer, it's important to write something to keep your skills fresh and keep yourself motivated!   Look around on your social media apps and figure out what works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...