Sunday, July 26, 2020

Take time to See What’s out the Window and Imagine what Isn’t

Recently, I was puttering on Insta, looking at pictures, trying to figure out what to post for my own Insta accounts, trying to pick a Book Cover picture to promote my latest book signing (wearing a mask, from 6 feet, of course!) and I came across my own pictures of sunsets.  I also came across other pictures of people outside on beautiful sunny days.

I prefer rainy days, but I enjoy sunny ones as well.  (No, I’m not going to don a dress and start belting songs from “The Sound of Music” anytime soon.).  It occurred to me, that I never open the curtains except for the plants to get sunlight or maybe I open the blinds at breakfast.  I don’t have a window in my office at work or near my desk in my writing room on purpose - yes, here I am another day dreaming reader who would stare out of the window all day long if I could and then I would get ZERO work done!

But windows are not just for the imagination, I thought.  They are for letting in some sunshine, too.  

What an eye opening experience.  I asked myself, I asked my husband why have I not been opening the curtains more often?  

Of course, there was no good answer to that.  It’s almost as if I forget the sun existed except in instances where I sought it out.

When I was a kid in elementary school, I was super quiet and never ever in trouble ... except for one thing - I would always but always stop and stare out of the windows when I would be in the stairwells.  I would be late for class, I would take too long to run a teacher errand, and I would get caught and get in trouble for it. 

It was my 4th grade teacher who ended my getting in trouble because he actually asked me why do you stop and stare out of the windows all the time?  I told him because I like to see what else is out there and to imagine what isn’t.  

After that, no one minded that I took a little longer to walk past the windows.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...