Sunday, May 3, 2020

Remote Writing or Not Everyone Can Write “Harry Potter”

Writing on the road.  Writing in the wilderness?

Either one used to have to be done by pen or pencil and paper and then you would type your post later.  But now it’s easier than ever to post from wherever you may be.

Right now, I’m sitting at a picnic table by a grill with a fire going and also fighting off bugs of all colors and sizes.  There are lanterns,  which brings more bugs.

It’s a typical Spring southern night.  It’s cool, but warm.

What’s on the table besides my tablet?  Water bottles, bags of various chips, food from the grill, condiments, flashlights, and plastic utensils.  There’s also a smart phone.

We decided to use the smart phone to call a relative in a different state to check on them and we have been talking for some time while I post.  How nice it is to hear a real voice on the phone or to actually use your smart phone as an actual phone.

How different is that?  My screen time was down 24% last week according to my phone.  That means I’ve not been using it so much for social media.

That makes me think of the different ways of writing.  How was writing intended to be displayed or consumed or shared in the first place?  How do you write?  Why do you write?  What is your end goal for what you write?

As my father in law put it, not everyone can write “Harry Potter.”  Truth be told, I wouldn’t want to have written that book even as successful as they are.  I write for myself in the genres I like (poetry, mystery, sci fi, romance) and I write for my audience at the same time.  I am also super content to have a few true real fans of my writing.  I do think I would enjoy having one huge best seller, but I wouldn’t want to have to be required to churn out more mimicking works of the same said best seller unless that’s what I wanted to write.

The freedom from writing outdoors is the same freedom you should feel when you write..  It needs to be something you like to do, have to do as well as something you can do for a living or extra income.

It’s living your life as a writer that matters.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...