Monday, February 10, 2020

Short vs Long Poems or The Long and Short of It!

Does length really matter?  Go ahead, laugh!  It’s okay.

I find at poetry readings and/or open mics, invariably someone will comment to me on the length of my poems.  Do they say anything about how long my 3 page poem is?  No!  But they do if it’s short.

Is there something wrong with short poems?  I used to almost always write very long poems.  Later on, maybe they were somewhere in-between long and short.  Recently, I started writing some shorter poems just because I wanted to see if I could.

Some of the most famous poems can be rather short in length.  I don’t think the length or lack of length of the poem is the most important part, but rather what you are saying in it and your use of spacing, line length, verses, form or not, all sort of things.

It’s what’s in the poem that counts!  Your poem will speak to you ... and then you decide while writing how the long and short of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...