Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Dimes (and Pennies) from Heaven

Today as I was walking into the pool, I happened to look down and there was a shiny dime.  It was almost obscured by the glint of the rain upon the dark asphalt but as I almost walked on it I saw it.  I look down when I walk due to the fact that I kinda trip over things if I don’t.

What’s so great about looking down and finding a dime in the parking lot?  Well, since my Dad passed, I’ve found many dimes and also pennies.  I never used to find loose coins before or if I did it was the occasional quarter that I would find.
Dime I found in the parking lot today the day of this post

I have amassed a small coin collection from all the pennies and dimes I have found in these past 4 years.  What do I do with them?

I spend them, share them, deposit them, drop them in those Take a Penny cups you sometimes seem at cash registers, etc.  I don’t usually examine them too much looking at the year or where it was minted.  Maybe I should be looking at these happenstance coins more closely when I stumble upon them.

I am rather happy in the sheer act of finding the coins.  It makes me think that my Dad’s presence is out there somewhere looking after me.

Yes, I am kind of New Age - I do believe everything happens for a reason.  It’s unreal how some things simply happen or come to be if you are in the right place at the right time or let them happen.

I don’t actively look for the coins.  I don’t even give it any thought other than some of the strange places I’ve found them - places, truly, where no coin should be.  One day I was at home and looked down and there was a penny in the carpet.  It had no business being there in the just swept, just vacuumed floor.  Nope.  No one had been around emptying pockets or loose change or anything.  It was not there one second, and the next it was.

Sure, there is probably a rational explanation to all of it.  Loose coins fall out of people’s pockets all the time.  Notes, sure do!  (As a writer, I love to find dropped notes and use them in a poem - depending on what the note is about of course).

I will keep on walking, though, and not searching for dimes and pennies.  Somewhere out there somehow, some way, I will keep believing my Dad made sure that those coins were meant especially for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...