Saturday, January 22, 2022

Paint like you mean it

Paint?  Didn’t I mean to type “write” there?  Well, not this time.  See, I’ve actually taken up painting.  But much like my practice sessions with my guitar, I don’t plan to post my pictures anywhere for the time being.  I simply like to paint and draw.  I have always doodled.  (Yes, I wrote a poem about doodling … a pretty big accomplishment because I didn’t actually put any real doodles in the poem which took some massive self-control).  

A friend took me to a painting class for Christmas.  I got so involved in my painting that I didn’t even check my phone for over 2 hours!  (Everyone was home safe and I have a device on my wrist that would’ve alerted me had there been an emergency).  It was such a freeing feeling.

When I write, I do have dedicated writing spaces.  The nice thing about writing is you write anywhere depending on how you are putting your words down.  I’m not picky - I still use journals, my phone, tablets, even scraps of paper, etc.  But, things often come up (even behind a closed door) and so my concentration is typically scattered when I’m working on my writing.  The painting class taught me that undivided attention on one thing is so much better.

Having enjoyed it so much, I decided to get painting supplies.  We already had some from craft days, so I combined those with the new stuff I got at Michael’s.  I also like to go to Cheap Joe’s for art stuff. 

Last weekend, I had some free time so I sat down and started to paint pictures.  The other night I had some free time, so I sat down and began to draw something.  

It’s like foraging a new path in the woods, to sit down with another type of art before you start with the one you’re usually doing.  I haven’t thought about making a broadside or an art painting with words in them, but I could.  It really gives you thoughts on different ways to approach your work.

I have experimented with this in another way too with my YouTube channel.  Usually, I post some of my writing stuff, but I mostly post train videos cause I love trains!  (I have at least 2 poetry books out with train poems in them.)

Whatever you do, paint, sing, write … do it like you mean it.  Then see where it will take you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...