Sunday, August 1, 2021

Read to Write

 If you’re a writer/poet, do you also like to read?  I do!  I read all the time.  I read books, e-books, articles, newspapers, magazines, practically anything I can get my hands on.  I enjoy going to book stores and wandering around!  I enjoy finding books for sale in boutique stores or even used book stores.  What fun!  It’s even more fun, to discover a book I really want to read.

I read a variety of types of writing:  non-fiction, biographies, mysteries, thrillers, adventure, sci fi, fantasy, and poetry.  Besides liking to read, I find that reading all these different things helps me to be a better writer/poet.

I can’t imagine trying to be a writer/poet and never reading anyone else’s works.  I can imagine you not reading something similar to your own so you don’t inadvertently get lost in their storyline instead of your own.

Reading makes me a better writer and poet.  If I read something written in a new way (for me) that gives me permission, so to speak, to write that way, too.  You can also learn technique this way - it’s great for people like me who like to learn by doing and not by reading endless textbooks, attending endless classes or taking endless tests (I’ve done all of it for College and Grad school and didn’t particularly like any of it especially if it had to do with Math!).  

It’s so easy to obtain materials to read:  online, library, thrift store or from sharing books with friends.  What kinds of books do you like to read?  How does reading make you a better writer/poet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...