Saturday, June 25, 2022

You Can’t Use Chopsticks with Soup

Do you read the fortunes in your fortune cookies?  Do you like to eat with chop sticks?

I like to do both.  Though, I don’t actually eat the fortune cookie, I like to read the fortune.  Other members of my family like the cookies, so I save mine for them.

Fortunes in fortune cookies are pieces of writing.  They are probably auto generated by computer by now. Can a computer really give you your fortune?

And then there are the sleeves for chopsticks which also have some writing of some kind on them.  It’s not a fortune, but maybe the manufacturer’s info, etc.

Last night, we got take out from our favorite Japanese restaurant and I decided to eat with chopsticks.  Well, I’m not a traditional person so what I always order is probably very different from what others might.  I like the soup and salad and a side of mushrooms.  

As I fingered my chopsticks, easily using them with the mushrooms, I laughed as I looked at the soup.  And, my salad.  Turns out eating a salad with chopsticks isn’t all that easy, either.  So there I was with chopsticks, a fork and a spoon to eat!  

It made me think of the tools I need for my writing.  I actually still use pen and paper, but I also use my smart phone, my tablet, my computer, and a Rocketbook (look those up on Amazon or wherever you shop because they are amazing - it’s reusable but document scannable paper).  I also carry a pint sized journal - it’s tiny.  I also use painting and playing guitar and ukulele to enhance my writing as a well as reading books, magazines and papers.  Plus, I like the experience of going a few places here and there to actually see things happening, to observe.  Observation is probably the best tool you’ll ever need to be a writer.  

I also wondered could there be some kind of chopstick that’s made for eating soup?  How about for salads?

What tools do you need to write?  What tools can you imagine that you’d like to have for your writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...