Monday, January 27, 2020

What’s in a Poem of your Own?

When you write your poems, what are you thinking?  Do you consider the subject, style, form, word count, spacing, verses, line count or what?

Each poem is yours individually.  It is after all your poem.

Recently, I had someone I don’t know criticize one of my published poems suggesting I rearrange everything to their liking.  Did I do that?  No, of course not.  It is my poem, after all.  The suggestion is something I considered, but the poem was already published.  Not only does the critic, who I have no idea if they actually are a writer or what, insult the poem but also insults the publisher.  The editing is best for the pre-publishing not afterwards unless the publication simply wants it to go that way.

Would I consider a re-write of my poem?  I looked at it, but I liked it the way it was.  It was based on a personal experience and thoughts I had while composing the poem.  I think as a reader of poems you can take away what you want to from a poem realizing you aren’t necessarily going to like what you read and that if it were yours you may have written it differently.

Respect the poem!  Or at least respect someone else’s work.  If you don’t like it, you certainly can move on and not read it or read it again.

If you are the poet, remember, it is after all your poem and it’s up to you if you want to get feedback on how to do it differently if you want.  I also throw out that old adage, consider the source before changing anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artemis at Sunset

As this year begins to come to a close, I thought about one of my favorite things to do: watching sunsets.  While I am often up early enough...